Monday, May 14, 2012
Akkana Basadi situated in the Sravanabelagola town is a grandeur specimen of Hoysala sculpture and architecture was built in 1181 AD by Aciakka wife of Brahmin minister Chandramauli of Hoysala king Ballala-II. The temple derives its present name from its patron this elegant temple, with its tower preserved intact, exhibition characteristic features of a Hoysal temple.
The temple is built in dark-blue schist planed in the shape on a satellite plan typical bell shaped pillars ornate ceilings and door ways protected portion of the 18th high tower bears an elaborately carved tri-thirthankaras panel of Yakshas on either side. The Kirthimukha at the top has added dignity to this panel.
It consists of the sanctum sanctorum (Garbagriha), Sukanasi and Sabha mantapa. The Akkanabasadi is adorned with beautiful images of Yaksha Dharanendra and Yakshi Padmavathi. The prime deity in this grandeur temple is Parshwanatha and this idol has 5 feet length.
The Panchaparameshti Basadi or the Danashale basadi near the entrance to Akkana Basadi enshrines the Pancha-parameshthi group. The five panchaparameshtis are the Jinas, Siddhas, ACharyas, Upadhyas and the Sadhus.
The Mangai Basadi dedicated to Shantinatha consists of a garbhagriha, a sukhanasi and a navaranga. An inscribed image of Vardhamana is placed in one of the cells of the navaranga. In front of the basadi are two well carved elephants and The basadi was built in about 1325 A.D. by Mangai of Belagola, a disciple of Charukeerthi Panditacharya and crest jewel of royal dancing girls and it was named Tribhuvana Chudamani.